But when the adrenalin and hormone levels plummet and the sleep deprivation and exhaustion of labour sets in…things can quickly start to unravel!
As a very new Mum, here are my ten top tips for staying sane during those early months of motherhood.
1. Sleep when your baby sleeps. Don’t ignore this. I did. Big mistake.
2. Google with caution. There are a zillion forums of new Mums out there sharing their pearls of wisdom. Read too many and they’ll make your head spin.
3. Trust your instincts. Only you know what your baby needs. Babies don’t come with an instruction manual.
4. Calm mum = calm baby. Dogs smell fear. Babies sense weakness.
5. Parenting is all about success through failure. An oh-so-wise friend told me this. The term ‘process of elimination’ takes on a whole new meaning.
6. Eat loads and stay hydrated. Post labour you need to rebuild your strength and reserves and breastfeeding can make you ravenous. I kept bags of nuts by my bed to munch on in the early hours.
7. Don’t cook…go to ‘COOK’ and stock up the freezer! I was lucky enough to be given vouchers by my lovely Pai team. Their lasagne is particularly special and not so much as a smidgeon of horsemeat to worry about!
8. Take mini videos of your baby week-to-week. They change so amazingly quickly and you’ll marvel at how ickle they once were.
9. Invest in a good sling. Who knew that free arms could feel so liberating?! For people who like to multi-task they’re a must.
10. Keep at least one small part of your beauty regime going. It gives you a little bit of personal sanctuary amidst the insanity. Our Kukui and Jojoba Bead Skin Brightening Exfoliator saved me.