So, you’ve got your three step facial skincare regime in place – but what about those extra essentials?
Many people see Eye Cream as a non-necessity or splurge product and fail to use one daily.
For me, Eye Cream is a core part of my daily regime (I apply at night) and one that makes an instant difference to the look and feel of my skin.
After all, the skin around the eyes is the most delicate on the face, and is most prone to redness and irritation as well as fine lines and wrinkles.
Crow’s Feet is the specialist name for the tell-tale wrinkles that appear at the outer corners of the eye.
They occur when the skin loses suppleness, elasticity and supporting proteins such as collagen.
While Crow’s Feet are a natural result of the ageing process – there’s lots you can do to improve their appearance and prevent them appearing prematurely.
Here are my Top Three Tips for beating Crow’s Feet:
1. Avoid irritation
This is key – you may well be using a great Eye Cream but if your other beauty habits are causing stress, inflammation or irritation around the eye then it won’t be nearly as effective.
Repeated irritation takes its toll on the skin and contributes to premature ageing. It also strips the skin of its oils and can leave it feeling dry and flakey – the drier the skin, the more likely fine wrinkles are to form.
Avoid the following:
- consistently heavy eye make-up
- detergent or alcohol-based eye make-up removers
- creams containing alcohol
- rubbing your eyes
- eye make-up allergies – some people find that chemicals in mascara, eyeliner, and under-eye concealer can cause itchiness and inflammation. See my previous blog post ‘Make-up for Sensitive Skin‘ if that sounds like you.
2. Embrace Essential Fatty Acids
To deeply nourish, repair and protect the eye area – select a Cream that is rich in Essential Fatty Acids (Omegas).
These super-charged Omegas form the building blocks of healthy skin, and are essential for maximising skin health.
As well as accelerating skin cell regeneration to smooth and refine the appearance of existing wrinkles, they also improve skin suppleness to help prevent new lines forming.
The Echium in Pai’s Echium Eye Cream is the richest natural source of Gamma Linolenic Acid and Stearidonic Acid – two powerful and unique forms of Omega 3 & 6 that pack a punch without causing irritation.
Apply daily before you go to sleep and wake up to smooth, bright eyes.
3. Get your beauty sleep
Recent studies by the University of California show that on average women need between six and a half and seven and a half hours sleep a night.
As the body’s largest organ, our skin reflects how we feel – so if you’re tired, chances are your skin won’t look as vibrant as it could.
Tiredness can also slow down the skin’s essential processes such as cell regeneration, making fine lines and wrinkles much more pronounced.
If you struggle to sleep, trying any of these late night rituals might help:
- burn a relaxing organic candle. Lavender, Chamomile and Sandalwood are all proven to aid sleep.
- meditate before bed. This may take the form of a few gentle stretches, or just five minutes of focussing on your breathing.
- keep a notepad by your bed. If you have ideas floating round your head, write them down and forget about them until the morning.
- dim the lights an hour before bed to prepare your body to enter sleep mode.
Anyone got any other top tips for fighting off Crow’s Feet?